SPARC and UWLM have released the BC Seniors’ Poverty Report Card.
Some areas from the report:
- British Columbia had the highest seniors (65+ years old) poverty rate of any province or territory
- Number of poor seniors in B.C. grew for the third year in a row
- Single seniors more than three times as likely to be poor than seniors in couple families
- Single seniors are overrepresented among poor seniors
- Seniors who live in B.C. are more likely to have a strong sense of belonging to local community
- Almost one in five B.C. seniors are living in unaffordable housing
- Almost 6,000 seniors are on BC Housing’s Housing Registry and the list grows longer each year
- There are more homeless seniors in Metro Vancouver
- Seniors’ poverty across B.C. communities (breakdown of poverty rate by community)
Also included are maps, including neighbourhood maps, of areas with higher seniors poverty rates.