News & Events

Do I need a language test to immigrate to Canada?

Many of Canada’s economic immigration programs require candidates to complete a language test to be eligible to apply.

This article will provide an overview of important details about whether a reader may need a language test on their immigration journey to Canada. For example, the following will cover which programs require language tests and the types of language tests accepted by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

Which Canadian economic immigration programs require a language test?
According to IRCC, 12 economic immigration programs currently require candidates to take a language test to qualify*. They are:

  • Agri-food pilot
  • Atlantic Immigration program
  • Caregivers
  • Economic Mobility Pathways pilot
  • The three programs managed under the Express Entry application management system
  • The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)
  • The Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP)
  • The Canadian Experience Class (CEC)
  • Federal Internship for Newcomers Program
  • Permanent residence pathways for Hong Kong residents
  • Rural and Northern Immigration pilot
  • Self-employed Persons program
  • Start-up visa program

*Each program may have different standards regarding the score that a candidate must obtain on their language test to qualify for that specific program